BSc(Honours) and Master’s degree (by coursework and minor dissertation)
Places on the BSc(Honours) and Master’s degree (by coursework and minor dissertation) programmes are limited by capacity, and applicants are accepted on a competitive basis. Students interested in applying for admission to one of these degree programmes should first consult the department concerned to determine closing dates for applications, and what documentation is required. The general closing dates for applications to UCT can be found here
PhD and research Master’s degree
Prospective candidates wishing to register for a PhD degree or a Master’s degree (by dissertation) should have a discussion with the prospective supervisor and/or Head of Department prior to applying formally to the University. Once supported by the host department, a formal application will have to be submitted online at http://www.uct.ac.za/apply/applications/forms/.
In addition to meeting the minimum entrance requirements, the following information will need to be provided:
• a curriculum vitae which includes personal details, academic history and work experience;
• an official transcript of university results (non-UCT students only);
• in the case of an application for the PhD, a summary of the Master’s research undertaken with and any publications which have arisen from this;
• names and contact details (including e-mail addresses) of two referees who are familiar the candidate’s recent academic studies;
• a brief outline of the area of interest for research;
• the names of UCT staff members who may have agreed to serve as supervisor/s for the research;
• proof of English language proficiency, where English is not the applicant’s home language.