Why Study Science at UCT?
Put quite simply, it's the best! At UCT we have the highest number of top, world class (A-rated) scientists of any institution in South Africa. UCT science degrees are highly regarded the world over. Studying science at UCT is a significant investment you can make for your future.
In the UCT Science Faculty, we care about our students. There are well-formulated and extensive academic, health, wellness and financial support frameworks in place. Progress of students is closely monitored, and they can approach their student advisors, lecturers and tutors for advice at any time
5 Good Reasons to study science at UCT
- UCT students are exposed to cutting edge science from the best science brains in the country. Excellent research and teaching go hand in hand
- UCT offers a wide range of carefully planned study options
- UCT degrees are internationally recognised
- UCT offers scholarships, bursaries and financial aid packages
- Just outside our front door lies one of the best natural laboratories in the world - it's a great place to live and do science.
A world of options
UCT offers a wide choice of exciting curricula which are organised around majors or are constructed for specific career paths. The curricula and majors on offer are grouped as follows:
- Majors in Earth and Life Sciences
- Majors in Chemical, Molecular and Cellular Sciences
- Majors in Numerical and Computational Sciences
New scientific and technological developments are constantly occurring at breakneck speed. National economies and their demands shift rapidly with these changes and so do the job markets. Many new, as yet undreamt of discoveries will be made during the course of your working life. Hence it is very important that when you embark on your tertiary education, you choose a course of study which will:
- Nurture your own talents and interests
- Provide you with a solid theoretical foundation
- Build intellect, critical skills and problem-solving ability
- Equip you with a broad range of skills
Only such a foundation will equip you with skills for life, and flexibility to continue to grow, to learn and to adapt to the certain changes in the market place. We have designed the Science programmes at UCT with this in mind.